I created this Downton Abbery-inspired flower arrangement for our Valentine’s Day dinner. It was my first time creating an asymetrical cascade arrangement, and I’m pretty sure that the Dowager Countess would approve! If you don’t know who that is, then you need to get on the Downton train, stat.
I purchased the flowers at Provigo (aka Loblaws) for about $15.00. I love me some inexpensive blooms! Here’s a run-down of what I used:
4 lavender-ish/pink chrysanthemums
1 “market bunch” (about 5 stems) of white spray roses (probably the ‘Majolica’ varietal)*
4 stems of deep pink stock
(I actually purchased some pink limonium too, but didn’t realize the store that the centre of the bunch was rotting (ew!), so I had to throw them away. Boooo! Good think the arrangement turned out well without it.)
*Because one stem of spray roses has multiple blooms on it, don’t be deceived by the seemingly low stem count.
3 stems Italian ruscus (my all-time favourite greenery for its cascading, delicate stems)
5 stems salal leaf (a beautiful green leaf that fills out an arrangement nicely)
To create an arrangement like this, you can follow these steps:
- Choose your vase and cut your oasis flower foam to be slightly smaller, but at least 2-3 inches taller than the vessel. Leave space around the foam if you want to hide it with something like rocks or glass beads.
- Hydrate your oasis and put it in a ziplock bag in the vessel (don’t zip the bag!). Pour in your rocks/beads around the outside of the bag, to hide the oasis. Obviously, if you use an opaque vase, you don’t need to hide it!
- Insert 4 stems of salal leaf at North-South-East-West of your foam. Insert them upward at about a 45 degree angle.
- Insert another four stems of greenery (slightly shorter than the N-S-E-W stems) in between the first 4.
- Insert 2-3 shorter stems of greenery in the top-middle of your arrangement.
- Begin placing your line flowers (the stock, in my case) into your arrangement. Try to create a triangle shape with these.
- Add some focal flowers (the mums in this arrangement).
- Add smaller filler flowers in between line, focal, and greenery.
- Add a few more stems of greenery if you wish.
- Sit back and marvel at your creation!