Our bedroom was pretty sad-looking when we first moved in. Exhibit A:


Note the particularly horrible boxspring-camel-toe and the fondue-parmesan wall colour. Also note that these photos were taken in full-on, mid-day sun. Oppressive.

Exhibit B:


Admittedly, I did little to “help” these photos at all. The kleenex box stayed right where it usually is, and I didn’t so much as pass a helping hand over the creases in our duvet.

So, one sunny Saturday afternoon in January, Erick and I decided to do something about it. Off we went to Canadian Tire, full of dreams of a blue, grey, and white haven.

We already owned a beautiful duvet cover and matching pillows, so we started with a pretty set colour palette. It was “Marrakech” from Linen Chest, and we bought it about 2 years ago. We also had two really lovely cobalt-blue glass lamps from Pier 1 and a co-ordinating lamp from Ikea.

We chose “Blue Silk” by CIL, which is in their “mellow and comforting” line. We liked that it had grey overtones to it, but was still distinctly blue. Because we had a gift certificate, the paint and supplies set us back about $100. Pricey, but we needed to buy things like new rollers, an extendable roller arm, brushes, painter’s tape, etc.

It took us about three weeks to complete the project, because we both work full-time during the day. To be honest, there were days when we were both too tired to even lift a paintbrush! One of the most time-consuming jobs was painting the two doors (there’s one to the hall and one to the master bathroom) and the trim. We hadn’t really realized that the ceiling and trim were SO beige until we primed the walls white. So that added some time to the project, too.

I sewed  curtains using faux-silk fabric left over from one of our DIY wedding projects, and we bought the blind from Home Depot. (We bought one for the guest room at the same time, and used another gift certificate, so the two blinds cost us about $60.) We also bought a bedskirt from Linen Chest, using the last of our wedding registry gift cards. The jury is out as to whether it is as “wrinkle-proof” as the salesgirl advertised. Hm.

So, without further ado, here is the “after”! Drumroll, please………………..


Collective sigh of relief!


Sorry for the grainy-ness of that last photo. I couldn’t seem to get a decent shot.


And I forgot to straighten the bedskirt… again.



It is by no means finished (I’ll have a list of future updates coming soon), but it is certainly a huge improvement. It’s pretty amazing what a little paint and a lot of hours can do!

You can leave me a comment and fill me in on any painting quick-fixes going on in your home!

Subscribe to Flourish & Knot

Wedding planning & floral design tips and news delivered to your inbox!

Flourish & Knot respects your privacy. Your email will never be shared. You may unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time.