If you read the post about my 2015 Reader Survey, you know that I also gave a little peek at the rocking chair makeover I was working on. Don’t remember? (Well maybe you should go have and have a look at that… And take the survey while you’re at it… *cough*)
To re-cap, this wicker rocking chair belonged to my grandmother, and is 60+ years old. It has seen some wear and tear over the years (including at least five paint jobs that I could see), but it is still in pretty good shape.
When last we left off, the chair looked like this:
It was pretty grimy from years of hanging out in my parents’ garage. (Literally hanging out: there are at least five chairs hanging on the back wall.)
So I scrubbed…
And I sprayed…
And I rocked this makeover!
She looks SO much better than before! I’m so glad that with just a few cans of spray paint and some elbow grease, this beauty can grace our home again.
If you are going to do a similar makeover, you will need:
- An old toothbrush or nailbrush – this helps to get the grime out from in between the wicker!
- Soap & water for washing
- 200 grit sandpaper
- 2-3 cans of semi-gloss or high-gloss Rust-oleum spray paint (or similar brand)
- A safety mask – never a bad idea when sanding or working with spray paint! And besides, they look pretty fetching!
Safety first! Artistic sun flare second!
The directions are simple:
- Clean up the chair and make sure to get off all residue and dirt.
- Give surfaces a light sanding, particularly where the wicker is splintering or the original paint job is uneven.
- Wash down the chair with water and soap, then rinse really well. Any leftover dust will affect the quality of your paint job!
- In a well-ventilated area (I did mine outside in our driveway), spray paint the chair. Begin with a light but even coat, keeping the can moving across the chair as you spray.
- When your first coat is dry (in about 20 minutes), apply a second, even layer.
- If needed, apply a third coat of paint.
- Let the paint completely cure (for at least a day or two) before putting on a cushion!
So are you into refurbishing furniture? Maybe you have a favourite piece in your home that you showed a little TLC? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Have a great weekend!
P.S. Don’t forget that you can also subscribe by email to Flourish & Knot, and have new posts delivered straight to your inbox. Just scroll up the sidebar to subscribe! —> —> —> —> —> —>
This post was featured on Haley’s Vintage and Chronically Content!
Here’s where I link up each week:
Mondays: Blogger Brags, Merry Monday, Monday Funday, Inspire Me Monday, Show & Tell, Lou Lou Girls
Tuesdays: Tell ’em Tuesday, Two Uses Tuesday, Together on Tuesdays, Tutorials & Tips, Tuesdays with a Twist, Hit Me with Your Best Shot, Tickle My Tastebuds, Treasure Box Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays
Wednesdays: Pin Worthy Wednesdays, Work it Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday, Wake Up Wednesday, Wordless Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Welcome Home Wednesdays
Thursdays: Think and Make Thursday, Handmade Hangout, Weekend Re-Treat, Favourite Things, Artsy Fartsy Link Party, What to Do Weekends, Friday Features (Thursday)
Friday: Fiesta Friday, Feathered Nest, Frugal Friday, Link Party Palooza, Friday Favourites
Saturday: Share it One More Time
Sunday: Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Silver Pennies, Sundays at Home, That DIY Party, Frugal Crafty Blog Hop, Share the Wealth Sunday
Monthly/Recurring: Great Blog Train, Sunday Brunch