I love a good challenge, and this month’s Create & Share presented that and more! We were partnered with Graphic Stock, a great online resource for stock images, and tasked with creating a home decor project using one of their images. I decided that since it was already pushing my creativity, I’d try my hand at something I don’t regularly DIY: wall art.
Also… You are going to be getting a little sneak peek into my theme and colour scheme for the nursery! Eeee! Please don’t read too much into the colour scheme. Whether baby is a boy or a girl, we love blue and will be using LOTS of it!
I received one year’s subscription to from Graphic Stock in exchange for writing this post. All opinions are my own.
I wanted to do a piece with an owl theme (which is not the full extent of the nursery theme, BTW), and found this cute and whimsical image from Graphic Stock. I thought I’d make something sweet using mixed media, and set about gathering my materials.
- Image template
- Felt (white, grey, and black)
- Acrylic paint (white and turquoise)
- Sharp scissors (a rotary cutter actually did NOT make this easier)
- Cardstock (or a canvas)
- Craft glue
I began by turning the Graphic Stock image into a template for the little owl. I outlined the owl and then traced the pieces onto a separate piece of paper.
Ta-da! One sweet little owl, ready to deliver mail and generally be an awesome friend.
The part that scared me was painting the base of the picture, the cartoon-esque tree. I am very, VERY scared of painting, which has never been my strong suit, and thought it would look terrible. I got lucky though, and it was fairly easy to re-reate the look of the tree from the image.
Once I assembled the picture using craft glue, I framed it in a simple white frame. I’m so pleased with how it turned out! I hope the baby appreciates that his/her (really not giving anything away, folks!) mommy made it with love (especially if he/she looks closely at the brushstrokes). 🙂
In case you are interested in trying your hand at some DIY wall art, you’ll find plenty of inspiration at Graphic Stock. You can try out their service for FREE for seven days by clicking here!
Now is the really fun part, where you get to hop around to the other participating blogs and check out what they created for the challenge!
1. Old House To New Home ~ DIY Little Girls Room Tray
2. Shabby Grace Blog ~ Valentine’s Day Treat Bags
3. Creatively Homespun ~ DIY LOVE sign
4. Refashionably Late ~ Library Book Storage
5. Casa Watkins ~ DIY Moroccan Dessert Plates
6. Tastefully Frugal ~ Be Mine Banner
7. The Weathered Fox ~ True Love Pillow
8. Green With Decor ~ St. Patrick’s Day Mason Jar Craft
9. Domicile 37 ~ Butterfly Entomology Clock
10. Up To Date Interiors ~ DIY Notebooks with GraphicStock
11. One Mile Home Style ~ Hand Embroidered Dandelion Wall Art
12. Uncookie Cutter ~ Rustic Americana Wall Art
13. Flourish and Knot ~ Whimsical Owl Art
14. Our House Now A Home ~ DIY Custom Kids Tote Bags with Graphic Stock
15. Pocketful of Posies ~ Valentine’s Day Paper
16. The House Down The Lane ~ DIY Heart Candle Holders and Printable
17. The Twin Cedars ~ Rustic Wood Wall Art
18. Iris Nacole ~ Graphic Stock Valentine’s Day Pillow
19. Refresh Living ~ Salvaged Barn Wood Valentines Decor
20. Farmhouse 40 ~ Bird Canvas Wall Art