Velvety Butternut Squash Bisque | The easiest soup you’ll ever make
I love making soup, especially in the winter months! A few months ago I shared one of my fall favourites, a sweet potato and carrot soup. Today I’ve got another rich, delicious winter soup for you: my velvety Butternut Squash Bisque Soup.
A bisque is traditionally a cream-based seafood soup, though the term can be extended to any cream soup. Besides, saying “bisque” instead of “soup” just sounds so much fancier. 😉 This is probably the simplest soup recipe, as it includes only a few ingredients, and takes just over an hour, start to finish.
Ingredients (in order of use)
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground chilli pepper
1 cup white or red onion
1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
3 cups vegetable broth (preferably low salt)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
Garnish (chives, green onion, or parley)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread squash over baking sheet and coat with pumpkin seed oil, paprika, and chilli pepper.
- Roast butternut squash until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions in cooking oil in medium to large pot until tender and fragrant.
- Add butternut squash to pot, add broth, and simmer until fully tender, between 30-45 minutes.
- Purée soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer a further 10-15 minutes. Add cream and serve. Garnish with chopped chives, green onion, or parsley.
This is such a simple but delicious recipe! The pumpkin seed oil really gives the squash a nutty flavour, though if you don’t have pumpkin seed oil, a good-quality olive oil would be fine. You could also use sesame oil for a different flavour entirely. The cream can be omitted for a healthier version of this soup. (Although where’s the fun in that?)
What are you making this weekend? Are you having friends or family over for dinner? If you try making this soup (or perhaps something else from my recipe gallery), I’d love to hear about it!
P.S. To anyone completing my 5 Days, 5 Bags Decluttering Challenge: Congratulations!! You’re almost at the finish line. One more day to go!